lunes, 14 de marzo de 2016

My Fourth Class



              Natural disaster was the topic of my first class at English Access. Because the speaking activities are the most relevant part for students from English Access, I presented the topic in a PPP and asked for some comments about it. Then, I showed some pictures of natural disasters (thunderstorm, landslide, earthquake, tsunami, tornado, flood, volcanic eruption, and hurricane) to the students for them to know the signifier and the significant; also, I applied the repetition drill in this part for them to pronounce the words correctly. Further, I asked them to make groups of five or four and to get together. When having all the groups together, I explained to them that they had to discuss about a natural disaster they had lived; also, I told them to choose a natural disaster for talking about it and for them to give recommendations for people to prevent, control, and avoid some of these phenomena. Besides, I told them that everyone in the group had to participate at least with an experience or idea. Also, I gave them the option of working outside because of the space; however, I was monitoring the activity and clarifying doubts about vocabulary. After several minutes of discussion, they had to past to the front and express their recommendations, experiences, and ideas with the whole class.  Unfortunately, I did not that the class finished at three fifty, so only a group could pass.

                When talking about fluency, I think this activity help students a lot because they can discuss freely and naturally what they think, or what they want to say about any issue. In this case, they were talking about natural disaster, so they could express their worries or thoughts about the catastrophes they have lived. Besides, to provide recommendations for people to prevent, control, and avoid was main objective in this activity, so it also helps students to think about what they are doing in the environment. Furthermore, my instructions were clear enough for students to understand and work well, but the classroom management was not so good because I need to improve a little bit and find out the way for working in a reduced space.
           
      In the future, I want to include some articles for students to read about the cause and effect of some natural disaster for them to work in groups and create a chart in which they can present the definitions, causes, preventions, and recommendations for each natural disaster. Also, I know that I have to contextualize the topics; however, if I have more time in future lessons, I would like to include more natural disaster for students to know about them because they will not go to another country, suffer a natural disaster, and do not know about what is happening or what to do.

4 comentarios:

  1. Nice Maye! I really like what you did your students because as you explain, speaking activities are really important and relevant when learning English; do not forget to use think Pair share activities as well, so as that you can have a very nice time management to finish all what you plan. :)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Excellent class. I think it was a good idea to make them work in groups and speak about natural disasters because when students work in groups, they more free to speak. As you said, to include information of some natural desasters in the world would be good, also you could include some from our country to contextualize, such as the storm '' El niño'' and the eruption of the Izalco volcano

    ResponderEliminar
  3. since you started asking the students, they could feel engaged to the activity you were doing with them, and the pictures were a nice decision for them. when you mention the space, sometimes, it is a difficult task to deal with that; therefore, it is when plan B comes into action.Though, your activity was great.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Hello Lukas! I think you did a great job for this class because you implemented the use of technology in the classroom to teach the topic. Also, the use of group work to develop the activities was very important because some students that finished before the activities could help the ones that were having problems. In addition, the way you monitored the students to help them with any doubt about vocabulary was great.

    ResponderEliminar