In my first class, I decided
to develop an ice breaker at the very beginning of the class; the ice breaker I
chose was “What is your favorite…?” I asked students to stand up and divide the
class in three groups; one group had to be in the left, the other in the right,
and the other in the middle. When having the students in their groups and in a
circle, I gave them an object per group; also, I used the Conon Projector in
order to show some questions they might use such as what is your favorite food,
animal, color, music, class, and so on. After that, I explained to them that
they had to pass the objects among them and ask the mentioned questions in
their groups while I played music. I was monitoring the groups by going around
the class and listening to some questions, answers, pronunciation, and fluency.
After some two minutes, I stopped the music, and the student, who got the
object at the time in each group, had to ask whichever question to the students
who had the object in the other groups; for instance, “A” student asked “B”
student, and “B” student asked “C” student, and “C” student asked “A” student.
Now, I could notice that the environment was appropriate because their
participation and interaction were so cool. To finish, I developed this
activity in order to introduce possessive adjectives (my and your), and I also wanted
to know my students´ interests.
Because this was my first class, I needed to know about my students´
interests and likes, so I think that “What is your favorite…?” was significant.
Besides, I am sure that most of them had not had a conversation since the term
started off, so they could interact by having this activity. Also, I can affirm
that they learned many new words when asking and answering. In addition, the
importance of this activity was that students spoke as much as possible, and as
a teacher, I encouraged them to speak whenever possible for them to improve
fluency and take the fear out. To finish
up, the purpose of this was to have students all together and to make them
participate.
I think students have understood the
possessive adjectives (my and your) since the very beginning because when
studying the grammar phase, they did not have troubles in trying to understand
the meaning of the words and the rest of the possessive adjectives. Also, I
realized during the controlled practice that they did not have doubts or
troubles when filling the worksheet I gave them. Besides, in the
semi-controlled activity, I have to admit that I did not give directions
correctly at the beginning, so I had to explain to each team again; however, they
worked and use the target language well. When giving directions, I think that
teacher must do it carefully because students cannot understand well, and they
will be standing up and waiting for a better direction. Also, I am sure that
vary the activities and the way of working can influence in students´ learning
process, so my methodology was to have them sitting and standing, working solo
and team work or pair work so that they will not get bored.
In
the future, I will be careful when giving directions because it is hard when
students do not understand an activity, and also it is a waste of time, so I
will pay attention to it next time. Besides, I will include more dynamic
activities in my future lessons in order to do not fall in the same tasks
during the controlled activity. Therefore, the next time I teach this lesson, I
will include more interesting things in order to get everyone´s participation.
Now, regarding to the mistakes, I will take into account Miss. Jimenez´s
feedback because it is important to improve my teaching skills, and my biggest
mistake was my nervousness, so I will try to relax and do my best in order to
avoid these mistakes because it can damage students´ learning process.


The use of technology always makes a class more interesting; however, we always need a plan B because sometimes technology does not work as we want. Definitely we never have to forget monitor the class because in this way we can realize if our students are working or if they are having troubles doing the activities. Nerves never play a good role and I'm pretty sure for that reason you had problems when giving directions.
ResponderEliminarIt is good that you know all your students because that is how you will approach your teaching lesson in the best way. I think warm-ups, ice groups and those activities are essential in class.
ResponderEliminar