sábado, 14 de mayo de 2016

My Eighth Class



               In my eighth class, I had to introduce and teach vocabulary related to clothing items. Therefore, in order to have an interesting class, I brought some clothing items (blouse, blue jeans, skirt, scarf, sunglasses, snickers, shorts, cap, socks, panties, men´s boxer, shirt, belt, raincoat, bras, suit, hat, mameluke, etc.) for the presentation phase which was the funniest and the most important part of my class. To start off the presentation phase, I had the name of each clothing item written down on pieces of paper and spread them on the teachers´ desk; also, as I had the clothing items in a basket, I put the basket in the middle of the class; then, I invited students to stand up, to pick up a clothing item, and to make a circle. When all of them got a clothing item, I provided them the corresponding tags for their clothing items. Later on, I presented each of their clothing items in order to introduce pronunciation, and then I introduce the verb “wear” and explain to them the meaning of the verb. After that, I wrote down on the board the phrase “I am wearing …” for students to follow the example, so I started the presentation by showing my clothing item with its tag and telling to the person next to me “Hello my friend, I am wearing my new…”; then, the person who was next to me had to follow the sequence by showing the clothing item with its tag and telling to the person next to him what he was wearing. To finish up, in the same circle, I invited students to describe what I and some other classmates were wearing in order to use the new target language.
             
             When teaching the clothing items, realia is the key for students to have a significant learning. Knowing that, I decided to develop my class using around thirty clothing items; the ideas matched perfectly because students could learn the vocabulary meaningfully; also, when presenting the vocabulary in the circle and by using the realia, they could appreciate the new target language by manipulating and knowing the new language. Besides, I believe that to let students use the material in all my activities was amazing and important because they were allowed to use the material whenever possible so that they felt free and worked well; for example, at the end of my class, I asked them to perform a role-play in which they performed some situations such as purchases at stores and some special deals at street; therefore, they used the authentic and real material instead of imagining the objects or using pictures. Besides, I think that the usage of realia is an essential key tool in class when teaching vocabulary like this.  To finish up, students tend to have fun when developing activities using realia. In my case, they had fun by making weird combination of clothing items and by using the clothing items in the role-play.
            
              Well, I have to admit that I had some mistakes and forgot some details in this class; for instance, I forgot to tell students that they could pick up more than a clothing item in the presentation phase. However, I will not forget that issue next time I teach the clothing items. Besides, in my future lessons, I will do my job as in this class because I am sure I fulfilled my objective and did my teaching practice in the most appropriate way, so I will teach this lesson in the same way, but I will include that details I forgot and correct mistakes when giving directions.

2 comentarios:

  1. Very good class. I like the idea that you brought some objects to the class; in this case, clothing items. It's great because students learn better with that technique.
    I can notice that you forgot some details. It happens to all of us, but next classes, we must correct those mistakes. Very well donde Lucas!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I liked that you used your own stuffs from your house in order to teach the topic. The students learn better in that way. You modeled the activity for the students and it was good.

    ResponderEliminar